Brett Kavanaugh Accuser Christine Blasey Ford Requests Conditions For Senate Judiciary Committee Testimony
Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who accused Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her in the 1980s, laid out her demands late Thursday for testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Ford’s lawyers reportedly emailed the Committee her conditions. The 51-year-old psychology researcher announced on Thursday via her attorney Debra Katz that a testimony on Monday, as had been scheduled earlier this week, was “not possible.” Katz cited the high number of threats her client has received in the last few days since coming forward with her accusation as a reason for the delay.
Katz also requested the Committee provide more details about the hearings next week in which Ford and Kavanaugh would testify. Among the questions the lawyer asked was whether Mark Judge, the other man involved in the alleged assault, would be subpoenaed.
Katz also reportedly insisted that only senators should ask Ford all questions, and that no outside counsel should intervene.
Here are the conditions Ford’s legal team requested for her testimony:
- Ford will not appear any sooner than next Thursday;
- No questions to be asked at hearing by any outside counsel — only senators;
- Mark Judge must be subpoenaed;
- Kavanaugh would testify first, then Ford would testify, and Kavanaugh would have no opportunity to respond or rebut;
- Deadline for her to provide written statement before the hearing would be waived;
- Provide proper security;
- Only one pool camera in the hearing room;
- Ford and Kavanaugh given the same amount of time to speak
On Wednesday, Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, insisted on Twitter that “no other OUTSIDE investigation is necessary” in the case involving Kavanaugh and Ford.
Cmte investigators are following up on the leads from Dr. Ford’s allegations & news stories No other OUTSIDE investigation is necessary for the Cmte to do its investigation. Don’t know why Dems are refusing to cooperate in the cmte’s investigation I hope Dems will join me 4/4
— ChuckGrassley (@ChuckGrassley) September 19, 2018
Grassley also denied Ford’s demand that the FBI probe her claims against Kavanaugh.