Congress

Trump Says He’s “Not Happy” With Congress’s New Border Security Deal, Doesn’t Say If He’ll Veto It

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump said he was “not happy” with a bipartisan deal lawmakers reached Monday on border security, although he did not explicitly say whether he would sign or veto it to avert another government shutdown.

Had Congress failed to reach an agreement on border security, the government would have closed at midnight Friday. Trump said he felt he needed to review the deal more closely before making a decision on it. The compromise includes $1.375 billion for new fencing along the southern border, significantly less than the $5.7 billion the president initially demanded.

“Am I happy at first glance?” Trump answered reporters at the White House. “I just got to see it. The answer is no, I’m not. I’m not happy.”

Trump added he was “using other methods” to construct the wall and said he believed a second shutdown was unlikely, although that if a shutdown did come to pass, he would blame Democrats.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of political news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.

The latest congressional compromise is expected to be taken up Wednesday by the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives and then by the Republican-led Senate.

SLIDESHOW: DONALD TRUMP’S 30 CRAZIEST TWEETS

Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), the Senate majority leader, told reporters he “hopes” Trump will sign the new deal after the two spoke on the phone Tuesday. McConnell added he would consider overriding a potential veto from the president.

Trump is still considering the possibility of declaring a national emergency as a way to bypass Congress entirely and get the wall built with his own authority. McConnell has reportedly cautioned the president against pursuing this option, which could likely be challenged by courts.

According to several reports, the first extensions of the actual border barrier, a 14-mile wall along the Rio Grande Valley, is set to start later this month.

Congressional leaders on both sides of the aisle are reportedly expecting lawmakers within their own ranks to vote against party lines on the new deal.

“Will everyone vote for it? No,” said Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.), the top-ranking Democratic on the Appropriations Committee. “Will a majority vote for it? Yes.”

Pablo Mena

Writer for upolitics.com. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Trump Places ‘Liberation Day’ Tariffs On Several Uninhabited Islands Whose Only Residents Are Penguins

President Donald Trump placed tariffs on almost 90% of nations, including some uninhabited areas, during…

5 hours ago

VIDEO: Trump Announces Huge Tariffs On All Imports – Economists Say It Will Lead To A Recession

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/t4Yuj5JQkT8 Supporters of President Donald Trump cheered as he unveiled a sweeping set of tariffs…

11 hours ago

Elon Musk Set To Leave Trump Administration After Wisconsin Election Disaster

Controversial tech billionaire Elon Musk will leave the Trump Administration in the next month, President…

15 hours ago

VIDEO: Sen. Cory Booker Breaks Record For Longest-Ever Senate Speech Protesting Trump Policies

https://youtu.be/ZLOWOkWhEag Sen. Cory Booker (D-New Jersey) held the Senate floor with a historic speech that…

1 day ago

Democratic-Backed Judge Susan Crawford Wins Seat On Wisconsin Supreme Court In Major Rebuke Of Elon Musk

Democratic-backed Judge Susan Crawford won a seat in the Wisconsin Supreme Court after beating Republican-backed…

2 days ago

Trump Claimed He Hadn’t Read Project 2025 During Campaign, But His Executive Actions Align Closely With Its Proposals

President Donald Trump surprised his administration last week by proposing that the country's primary disaster…

2 days ago