Poll Shows 5 Democratic 2020 Candidates Leading Trump: Biden, Sanders, O’Rourke, Warren & Harris
A new Emerson National Poll shows former Vice President Joe Biden back in the lead for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination, after Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) led all candidates earlier in the race.
The survey finds Biden with 33 percent support, while Sanders has 25 percent backing. The poll also finds President Donald Trump trailing five Democratic presidential contenders, including Biden and Sanders. The other three are former Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas) and Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Massachusetts) and Kamala Harris (D-California).
According to the Emerson poll, Harris and Warren are tied for third with 10 percent support, while South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg follows with 8 percent.
We are less than 19 months out from Election Day 2020! New Emerson poll shows Biden leading Sanders among Democratic primary candidates. pic.twitter.com/PBYdQJE4fn
A week of political news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.
— Mark Cavitt (@MarkCavitt) May 13, 2019
The survey also measured voters’ likelihood of sticking with the candidate they currently support later on in the 2020 election cycle. It found that 56 percent of Democratic primary voters said there is a chance they might change their mind about their candidate, while 44 percent said they will likely continue to support their current candidate.
The Democratic 2020 presidential field now includes 22 candidates, while only one Republican has thus far challenged Trump for the GOP nomination: former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld. Per the Emerson survey, Trump holds a strong lead over Weld in support, 86 percent against 14 percent. The poll also lists Trump’s current approval rating at 43 percent.
Despite Biden’s overall lead among Democrats, Sanders leads in support among young voters (ages 18-29) and African-Americans. Sanders leads Biden 41 to 11 percent among younger voters.
— David Sirota (@davidsirota) May 14, 2019
The Emerson poll was conducted May 10-13 among 1,006 registered voters and holds a margin of error of 3 percentage points.
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!