Iran Strikes U.S. Military Bases In Iraq In Response To Killing of Gen. Qasem Soleimani, No Casualties Reported
Iran targeted U.S. bases in Iraq Tuesday night in the reprisal of U.S. drone attacks that killed Iran’s top General Qasem Soleimani.
The attack on American forces comes days after the Iranian government swore vengeance on the U.S. for assassinating their top general, and further escalate the tensions between the two countries.
Wednesday morning following the attack, the Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said that the attack “did not seek escalation or war,” but that Iran would defend themselves against aggression. Over 20 ballistic missiles were fired at bases in Iraq where American troops were stationed.
A week of political news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.
According to Senior Iraqi defense officials who work with the United States, there were no casualties as a result of the attack.
In a speech, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s Supreme Leader said, “They were slapped last night, but such military actions are not enough,” adding that the attacks were not enough punishment for the U.S.
Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani wrote on Twitter, “Our final answer to his assassination will be to kick all US forces out of the region.”
General Soleimani fought heroically against ISIS, Al Nusrah, Al Qaeda et al. If it weren’t for his war on terror, European capitals would be in great danger now.
Our final answer to his assassination will be to kick all US forces out of the region.
— Hassan Rouhani (@HassanRouhani) January 8, 2020
After the attacks, Trump was expected to address the nation from the Oval Office. However, he decided to take to Twitter instead saying, “All is well!”
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
The tweet continued, “Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far!” He concluded by adding there would be a statement Wednesday morning.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) took credit for the attack in a statement on Iranian state media. The IRGC threatened the United States with “more painful and crushing responses” if they chose to retaliate, but that the tensions between both countries would end if the U.S. chose not to. In the statement, they also threatened to attack Israel and other U.S. allies stationed in the region.
Leave a comment
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!