In the wake of Hurricane Dorian, President Donald Trump announced that the U.S. needs to exercise extreme caution about which Hurricane Dorian survivors enter the U.S. 

 

The president said he is worried about violent drug cartels and other dangerous individuals attempting to cross borders, “We have to be very careful. Everybody needs totally proper documentation,” Trump told reporters on the White House South Lawn on Monday afternoon. 

Trump also told reporters, “Look, the Bahamas had some tremendous problems with people going to the Bahamas that weren’t supposed to be there,” he said. “I don’t want to allow people that weren’t supposed to be in the Bahamas to come into the United States, including some very bad people and some very bad gang members and some very, very bad drug dealers.”

Others are urging him to ease his strict immigration policies strategy. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), along with Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) told Trump last week to allow refugees with relatives into the United States.  

 

The United States policy is Bahamians who do not possess a visa may enter the U.S. if they present a valid passport, proof of no criminal record and undergo CBP conducted pre-screening before departing.

Trump delivered the announcement after a reporter’s video on Twitter surfaced of evacuees stating they needed visas to enter the U.S.

 

At a news conference on Monday, Acting White House Commissioner Mark Morgan said, “We will accept anyone on humanitarian reasons who needs to come here.”