Trump Says He Gets “No Credit” For His Work Compared To Obama
In a series of tweets on Sunday, President Donald Trump complained that he received no credit for all the “great work” he was doing, crying that if President Barack Obama had done the same things he had done then the former president would’ve been lauded.
“If President Obama made the deals that I have made, both at the Border and for the Economy, the Corrupt Media would be hailing them as Incredible, & a National Holiday would be immediately declared. With me, despite our record setting Economy and all that I have done, no credit!” tweeted the president on Sunday.
If President Obama made the deals that I have made, both at the Border and for the Economy, the Corrupt Media would be hailing them as Incredible, & a National Holiday would be immediately declared. With me, despite our record setting Economy and all that I have done, no credit!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 9, 2019
Trump’s comments came after he lashed out at the New York Times on Twitter Monday, bashing them for their report that his role in the deal with Mexico was much less significant than he claimed it to be. “Sick Journalism,” he said. These tweets are just a continuation of the president’s attack on the press and his attempts to delegitimize the media as “fake news.”
When will the Failing New York Times admit that their front page story on the the new Mexico deal at the Border is a FRAUD and nothing more than a badly reported “hit job” on me, something that has been going on since the first day I announced for the presidency! Sick Journalism
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 10, 2019
The deal which the president tweeted about was the U.S.-Mexico Joint Declaration, in which Mexico agreed to ramp up its immigration enforcement efforts in order to prevent illegal immigration into the United States. In exchange, Trump backed down on his threat of tariffs on the nation, a proposal that was widely unpopular among Democrats, Republicans, and Mexicans.
In a recent report, the New York Times claimed that the approval of this deal was not due to the president’s threats and that much of the agreement had already been in the works months before Trump began his heavy-handed approach. “The Mexican government had already pledged to do that [deply troops] in March during secret talks in Miami between Kirstjen Nielsen, then the secretary of homeland security, and Olga Sanchez, the Mexican secretary of the interior,” wrote Times correspondents Michael D. Shear and Maggie Haberman.