Steve Bannon Released From Custody After Surrendering To FBI
Former White House adviser Steve Bannon was released from custody on Monday afternoon shortly after he surrendered to authorities due to an arrest warrant that was issued for failing to comply with congressional subpoenas.
Bannon’s formal arraignment is scheduled for this Thursday.
Bannon was summoned to give testimony in September by the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6 attack on the United States Capitol but refused to appear or submit documents requested by the committee. The committee voted last month to hold Bannon in contempt of Congress.
On Friday, the United States Department of Justice indicted Bannon “with one contempt count involving his refusal to appear for a deposition and another involving his refusal to produce documents.”
Bannon, who hosts War Room on the conservative media outlet Newsmax, faces up to two years in prison as well as substantial fines if he is convicted on both counts.
Speaking to reporters outside of the FBI’s Washington, D.C. headquarters, Bannon said that “we’re taking down the Biden regime” and urged his followers to “stay focused” on their mission to reinstate former President Donald Trump.
“I don’t want anybody to take their eye off the ball from what we do every day, ok,” Bannon added. “I want you guys to stay focused on message. Thank you very much.”
Attorney General Merrick Garland defended the DOJ’s decision to charge Bannon.
“Since my first day in office, I have promised Justice Department employees that together we would show the American people by word and deed that the department adheres to the rule of law, follows the facts and the law and pursues equal justice under the law,” Garland said in a statement. “Today’s charges reflect the department’s steadfast commitment to these principles.”