Despite his legal woes, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has nearly doubled his fundraising during the second quarter of 2023, another indication that his supporters are only more driven by his impending charges.

Trump was indicted in June on 37 counts for willful retention of national security information and conspiracy to obstruct justice. He was arrested and arraigned at the Miami federal courthouse, where he pleaded not guilty on all counts. The trial for the case is set to begin as early as August 4.

Trump’s allies have been quick to jump to his defense since his indictment last month. The GOP narrative that the Department of Justice conducted a corrupt and politically-motivated investigation is fueling M.A.G.A. voters to do everything in their power to propel Trump to the Republican nomination, as they are hoping that his run and potential election may delay or dismiss his criminal charges.

According to a campaign official, Trump’s joint fundraising committee — which is split between his campaign and his political action committee, Save America — has received more than $35 million, a figure raised from the $18.8 million that they received during the first quarter of the year.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of political news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Last month, Trump began diverting 10% of the campaign money raised to Save America, leaving only 90% of each donation to the former. Trump uses his PAC money for non-campaign purposes, such as paying his personal legal fees and for the lawyers of witnesses who have agreed to testify for him.

Trump’s campaign has been using his legal troubles as a weapon to garner support. After his indictment in June, he sent out a fundraising note asking voters to “make a contribution to peacefully DEFEND our movement from the never-ending witch hunts,” referring to the Justice Department’s alleged motives.

The former president’s fundraising is done mostly online, although he did hold a fundraiser at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersy last month on the evening of his arraignment. He raised about $2 million at this event.

The campaign’s full filing will be released by the Federal Election Commission later this month.

Read more about:

Get the free uPolitics mobile app for the latest political news and videos

iPhone Android

Leave a comment