Donald Trump Changes Story On Trump Tower Meeting Again, Says “To The Best Of My Knowledge” There Was No Followup
President Donald Trump changed his story again on the infamous Trump Tower meeting in 2016, saying in a statement to The Washington Post, that “to the best of my knowledge” there was no followthrough or collusion with Russia.
“Don has received notoriety for a brief meeting, that many politicians would have taken, but most importantly, and to the best of my knowledge, nothing happened after the meeting concluded,” the president said.
The first explanation that Trump gave 13 months ago was in a statement dictated by the president but released under the name of his son Donald Trump Jr. “We primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children that was active and popular with American families years ago,” the statement read.
In a tweet last week, Trump said it was a routine effort, calling Don Jr.’s attempt to get dirt on Hillary Clinton from a foreign government a “totally legal” endeavor that “went nowhere.” Trump added, “I did not know about it!”
Fake News reporting, a complete fabrication, that I am concerned about the meeting my wonderful son, Donald, had in Trump Tower. This was a meeting to get information on an opponent, totally legal and done all the time in politics – and it went nowhere. I did not know about it!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) 5. August 2018
Trump’s last statement is now of interest because he didn’t reiterate not having knowledge of the meeting and instead of saying the meeting went nowhere. The addition of the words “to the best of his knowledge” has particularly drawn interest, as it leaves open the possibility that the meeting indeed went somewhere.
Former federal prosecutor Harry Litman told MSNBC on Monday, “Obviously people on Team Trump think that there is something concrete that’s going emerge about dirt having been possibly produced.”
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.