Trump Transferred To Walter Reed Medical Center After COVID-19 Diagnosis
President Donald Trump will be staying at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center “for the next few days” due to his COVID-19 diagnosis.
“President Trump remains in good spirits, has mild symptoms, and has been working throughout the day,” White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said in a statement. “Out of an abundance of caution, and at the recommendation of his physician and medical experts, the President will be working from the presidential offices at Walter Reed for the next few days. President Trump appreciates the outpouring of support for both he and the First Lady.”
Trump revealed early Friday morning that both he and First Lady Melania Trump tested positive for COVID-19, presumably after coming in close contact with senior adviser Hope Hicks, who was reported to have tested positive on Thursday.
The president is experiencing “mild” symptoms, White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows told reporters Friday. Melania wrote on Twitter that she too has mild symptoms.
The president has a low-grade fever, nasal congestion and a cough.
Trump appeared in public for the first time since announcing his positive test result at 6:16 p.m. ET to walk to his helicopter to go to Walter Reed. He did not display any outward signs of illness as he waved to the media.
After his arrival at the hospital, Trump posted a short video on Twitter assuring the public he is doing “very well.”
“I want to thank everybody for the tremendous support. I’m going to Walter Reed Hospital,” Trump said. “I think I’m doing very well. We’re going to make sure that things work out. The first lady is doing very well. So thank you very much, I appreciate it. I will never forget it. Thank you.”
Vice President Mike Pence tested negative for the virus, but it can take up to two weeks for the virus to become detectable on a test.
The Trump campaign has postponed all in-person campaign events involving the president or his family.
“All previously announced campaign events involving the President’s participation are in the process of being moved to virtual events or are being temporarily postponed,” campaign manager Bill Stepien said in a statement. “In addition, previously announced events involving members of the first family are also being temporarily postponed.”
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.