Rep. Devin Nunes (R-California) appeared on Fox News and back tracked on his previous suggestion that urged the general public to dine out. Nunes had been featured on Fox News Sunday Morning Futures and suggested that those in good health go out to restaurants to help counteract some of the economic consequences of the novel coronavirus.

The suggestion went counter to the advice of the public health guidelines to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Central aspects of the COVID-19 action plan is to limit Americans from congregating in groups of more than 10 and encourage social distancing.

“If you’re healthy, you and your family, it’s a great time to just go out, go to a local restaurant,” Nunes told Fox News host Maria Bartiromo.

“Let’s not hurt the working people in this country that are relying on wages and tips to keep their businesses going,” he said. “So don’t run to the grocery store and buy, you know, $4,000 of food — go to your local pub.”

CHECK CURRENT DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY DELEGATE TOTALS HERE!

 

Nunes was widely slammed on social media and by health experts for his comments, and he later clarified what he meant on a segment on Fox News on Monday.

“We have a problem out here because we have people waiting 45-minutes online at Costco. And so what I was saying is you have empty restaurants. You can go to the drive-thru. You can do take-out. It’s a great place to go,” Nunes said. “The media freaks can do what they want, but you know they’re endangering lives here by continuing this panic when we have no food shortage in this country. The farmers of America produce an abundant food supply.”