News

Rand Paul Cancels DirecTV Subscription After Platform Drops OAN

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky) said that he has canceled his subscription to DirecTV after the television platform announced its plan to discontinue featuring One America News, the pro-Donald Trump conservative cable channel.

OAN is one of several conservative media platforms that have been sued in recent months for allegedly broadcasting false or defamatory claims that undermine the 2020 presidential election.

On Friday, DirecTV announced its plan not to renew its contract with OAN. It said that it made this devision following a “routine internal review.”

Paul announced the end of his DirecTV subscription on Twitter. “Why give money to people who hate us?” he asked in the tweet.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of political news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Other pro-Trump Republicans have also complained about DirecTV’s decision. Many claim that the move demonstrates a larger effort in the media to silence conservative voices.

“The Left’s purge continues: YouTube demonetizes Dan Bongino. DirectTV drops One America News. Twitter suspends Dr. Malone. Who’s next?” Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) said in a tweet on Saturday.

Verizon Fios and smaller carriers have maintained OAN, and it is available to stream online through KloudTV.

Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colorado) criticized DirecTV’s move while also criticizing Democrats’ desire to reduce misinformation. She commented her belief that “misinformation” is synonymous with Republicans voices.

“Pretty convenient that this comes within a week after Biden begged companies to silence ‘misinformation’, meaning his opposition,” Boebert said.

A Reuters investigation reported in October that nearly all of OAN’s revenue came from a single contract with telecom giant AT&T, the parent company of DirecTV. AT&T faced increasing pressure to end its connection to OAN after recent lawsuits, as well as after OAN’s other controversial content.

“We are outraged to learn that AT&T has been funneling tens of millions of dollars into OAN since the network’s inception,” said NAACP President Derrick Johnson after the Reuters report published. “As a result, AT&T has caused irreparable damage to our democracy. The press should inform the American public with facts, not far-right propaganda and conspiracy theories.”

Camryn Bolkin

Recent Posts

VIDEO: Trump Announces Huge Tariffs On All Imports – Economists Say It Will Lead To A Recession

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/t4Yuj5JQkT8 Supporters of President Donald Trump cheered as he unveiled a sweeping set of tariffs…

57 mins ago

Elon Musk Set To Leave Trump Administration After Wisconsin Election Disaster

Controversial tech billionaire Elon Musk will leave the Trump Administration in the next month, President…

5 hours ago

VIDEO: Sen. Cory Booker Breaks Record For Longest-Ever Senate Speech Protesting Trump Policies

https://youtu.be/ZLOWOkWhEag Sen. Cory Booker (D-New Jersey) held the Senate floor with a historic speech that…

23 hours ago

Democratic-Backed Judge Susan Crawford Wins Seat On Wisconsin Supreme Court In Major Rebuke Of Elon Musk

Democratic-backed Judge Susan Crawford won a seat in the Wisconsin Supreme Court after beating Republican-backed…

1 day ago

Trump Claimed He Hadn’t Read Project 2025 During Campaign, But His Executive Actions Align Closely With Its Proposals

President Donald Trump surprised his administration last week by proposing that the country's primary disaster…

2 days ago

Social Security Administration At ‘Risk Of Collapse’ After DOGE Cuts, Former Head Martin O’Malley Warns

The former head of the Social Security Administration (SSA), Martin O’Malley, has issued another dire…

2 days ago