News

Jan. 6 Committee To Vote On Contempt Of Congress Charges For Trump Aides Navarro & Scavino

The House committee conducting a probe of the January 6, 2021 attack on the Capitol is seeking contempt of Congress charges against former President Donald Trump aides Peter Navarro and Dan Scavino after they repeatedly refused to comply with subpoenas.

The 34-page report will be voted on by the six Democrats and two Republicans in the committee on Monday before being sent to the Democratic-controlled House. The House will make the decision to send it to the Justice Department.

Neither Scavino nor Navarro have appeared before the committee or released any of the desired documents. Navarro released a statement saying that he would be violating Trump’s executive privilege, even though Trump has never formally utilized executive privilege and President Joe Biden dismissed executive privilege over evidence relating to January 6.

“My position remains this is not my executive privilege to waive, and the committee should negotiate this matter with President Trump,” Navarro said in a statement. “If he waives the privilege, I will be happy to comply; but I see no effort by the committee to clarify this matter with President Trump, which is bad faith and bad law.”

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of political news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.

The committee said they “did not seek documents or testimony from Mr. Navarro related to his official duties as a Federal official. None of the official responsibilities of Mr. Navarro’s positions included advising President Trump about the 2020 Presidential election or the roles and responsibilities of Congress and the Vice President during the January 6, 2021, joint session of Congress.”

Scavino was among the first subpoenaed, as he was allegedly present at meetings where Trump and his team discussed how they were going to overturn the election. The committee asked him to hand over communications related to the planning and marketing of the rally and added that they wanted to interview Scavino because he might have known about the violence ahead of time since he was the monitor of multiple websites where users discussed an attack.

Rose Carter

Recent Posts

Trump Places ‘Liberation Day’ Tariffs On Several Uninhabited Islands Whose Only Residents Are Penguins

President Donald Trump placed tariffs on almost 90% of nations, including some uninhabited areas, during…

3 hours ago

VIDEO: Trump Announces Huge Tariffs On All Imports – Economists Say It Will Lead To A Recession

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/t4Yuj5JQkT8 Supporters of President Donald Trump cheered as he unveiled a sweeping set of tariffs…

9 hours ago

Elon Musk Set To Leave Trump Administration After Wisconsin Election Disaster

Controversial tech billionaire Elon Musk will leave the Trump Administration in the next month, President…

13 hours ago

VIDEO: Sen. Cory Booker Breaks Record For Longest-Ever Senate Speech Protesting Trump Policies

https://youtu.be/ZLOWOkWhEag Sen. Cory Booker (D-New Jersey) held the Senate floor with a historic speech that…

1 day ago

Democratic-Backed Judge Susan Crawford Wins Seat On Wisconsin Supreme Court In Major Rebuke Of Elon Musk

Democratic-backed Judge Susan Crawford won a seat in the Wisconsin Supreme Court after beating Republican-backed…

1 day ago

Trump Claimed He Hadn’t Read Project 2025 During Campaign, But His Executive Actions Align Closely With Its Proposals

President Donald Trump surprised his administration last week by proposing that the country's primary disaster…

2 days ago