WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 11: House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) speaks during a news conference with House Republicans about U.S.-Mexico border policy outside the U.S. Capitol on March 11, 2021 in Washington, DC. U.S. Customs and Border Protection announced on Wednesday that over 100,000 people had attempted entry along the southern U.S. border in February, a 28 percent increase from January. (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images)
The House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021, Capitol attack has issued subpoenas to their colleagues which includes House minority leader Kevin McCarthy and four other prominent House Republicans.
“Before we hold our hearings next month, we wished to provide members the opportunity to discuss these matters with the committee voluntarily,” Committee Chair Bennie Thompson (D-Mississippi) said in a statement. “Regrettably, the individuals receiving subpoenas today have refused and we’re forced to take this step to help ensure the committee uncovers facts concerning January 6th. We urge our colleagues to comply with the law, do their patriotic duty, and cooperate with our investigation as hundreds of other witnesses have done.”
Republican Reps. Jim Jordan (Ohio), Scott Perry (Pennsylvania), Mo Brooks (Alabama) and Andy Biggs (Arizona) have also been ordered to appear in front of the committee.
They were all invited to testify at earlier dates, but none of them voluntarily sat for an interview. Thompson said the committee believes that the individuals subpoenaed have critical information about former President Donald Trump‘s thoughts and actions leading up to, during and after the Capitol breach.
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!
A week of political news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.
All of the subpoenaed Congressmen are likely to challenge the subpoenas in court.
Other allies of the former President who have been subpoenaed have still refused to cooperate with the committee. The House voted to hold Trump aides Peter Navarro, Dan Scavino and Steve Bannon in contempt of Congress.
The committee has privately interviewed upwards of 900 people and received over 100,000 documents since beginning their investigation. The first public hearing is slated for June 9.
Controversial tech billionaire Elon Musk will leave the Trump Administration in the next month, President…
https://youtu.be/ZLOWOkWhEag Sen. Cory Booker (D-New Jersey) held the Senate floor with a historic speech that…
Democratic-backed Judge Susan Crawford won a seat in the Wisconsin Supreme Court after beating Republican-backed…
President Donald Trump surprised his administration last week by proposing that the country's primary disaster…
The former head of the Social Security Administration (SSA), Martin O’Malley, has issued another dire…
Vice President J.D. Vance has accused Denmark of under-investing in Greenland’s security. His comments, made…